Sunday, October 28, 2007

Initial Temperature Recordings

This weekend I was able to get a baseline set of temperatures recorded from my greenhouse. The weather yesterday was sunny with very little wind if any. The temperatures that I was able to record are shown in the graph below. All temperatures are in Fahrenheit and recorded ever 5 minutes using a thermochron. The inside and outside temperature were measured just above ground level in the shade.


Time span: Friday Oct 26 @ 6:00pm - Sunday Oct 28 @11:00am
Outside


Maximum 52.7

Minimum 35.6



Inside


Maximum 71.6

Minimum 36.5



Difference

Maximum 18.9

Minimum -0.9

Conclusion
This design will warm up but will not hold the heat through the night. In my previous greenhouse I used some 5-gallon buckets to help hold the heat and lightly insulated the back wall and was able to get a temperature positive difference to hold through the night when I put heated water inside the buckets.

What's next
I'm going to try and put an 100watt incandescent light bulb on a timer to come on at a certain time to see how much it can effect the temperature. Also as soon as possible I will be insulating the back wall and patching the small hole in the plastic in the ceiling (manufacturing defect).

No comments: