Friday, September 22, 2006

Greenhouse #1

I got the bright idea to build a greenhouse. I had a couple of tomato plants in my garden and decided to build the greenhouse around them. I wanted to keep the price down so I just went down and picked up some 2x4 studs. The dimensions ended up being about 4' wide by 8' long by 8' tall. It worked pretty well until it got really cold one day and all of the tomato's froze solid. Then during the winter the wind got a little strong and it went for a walk across the yard. I was able to extend the season of the tomato's about a month though so it wasn't all wasted.

During this adventure I picked up some Thermocron's (electronic temperature data loggers). I learned how much of a difference the greenhouse was making and how the air circulation help increase the temperature.

No comments: